Are you looking for a place which combines old town’s charm, historic landmarks, and beautiful sandy beaches? Then, Rethymno is the place to be.
Rethymno is the third largest town in the Crete. Τhe leisurely pace of the town, the walks to the romantic alleys that preserve much of their Venetian and Turkish appearance, will make you fall in love with this town.
Explore one of the best medievalist towns in Greece that has preserved its authenticity through centuries. It preserves the elements inherited by its history preserving at the same time the characteristics of a modern city and the beauty of an old city. Orthodox and Catholic churches, mosques, large Venetian architectural mansions, arches, and cobblestone streets create a wonderful atmosphere.
How to get there
Even though Rethymno has no its own airport, you can departure to the main airports of Crete, Heraklion and Chania. From there it is pretty convenient to reach Rethymno by bus. Especially, from Hraklio is 80km away and from Chania 56 km away.
In daily basis there are ferries from Athens (Piraeus Port) directly to Rethymno. Ferry tickets are available in all travel agencies around Greece.
What to see & do
Venetian port: One of the most beautiful sites of Rethymno, is ideal for romantic walks.
Fortezza: It is worth climbing up the hill Paléokastro and taking a walk in Fortezza. Fortezza is a fork built during the Venetian occupation to protect the city from attacks by pirates. A little further on is the small theater Erofili which is used for cultural events during the summer period.
Museum of Folk Arts: It is housed in a Venetian building from the 17th century. Traditional handicrafts and folk art are on display.
Archaeological Museum: Exhibits of objects from the Neolithic period up to the years of the Roman Empire.
Lotzia: A beautiful building of the 6th century which now houses the Municipal Library is located in the old town. Lotzia was the gathering place of feudal nobles. Later, the Ottomans turned it into a mosque.
For those who love nature, in Rethymno there are sites that are characterized as landscapes of exceptional natural beauty as:
- The cave of Melidoni. Its interior with its stalactites and stalagmites is particularly impressive.
- The city Axos with its ruins
- Bali, coastal tourist resort.
- Patsos Gorge. This is an exceptional beauty throat with places to picnic
- Preveli lagoon : To get there you have to follow the road to the Monastery of Preveli. Downhill, an almost tropical landscape awaits you. The river flows gently towards the sea and the rich vegetation create a magnificent view. Worth visiting it!
- On Psiloritis Mountain there is the plateau Nida with the famous “mitata”, huts of stone shepherds. The plateau also has ski facilities during the winter.
- Gorges of extraordinary beauty cross the mountains of the region, like the Kourtalioti gorge 3km long, which ends at the famous preveli lagoon, the Patsos gorge, the Arkadi Gorge and others.
- The mountains of the region are exceptionally rich in caves. The most famous are those of Gerani, Melidoni, Agios Antonios, Idaion Andron (the cave of Zeus on the plateau of Mountain Psiloritis).
Beautiful sandy beaches await you on the north coast as well as on the south coast of the island. Some of them are:
- Panormos (or Panormo): An organized beach with many taverns and hotels.
- Plakias: Stunning sandy beach and well-organized tourist infrastructure including water sports facilities.
- Preveli Beach: It is located on the south coast of Crete. The palm trees and the small lagoon make this sandy beach a truly unique exotic place. The village of Bali 34km east of Rethymno with small gulfs sheltered from the wind.
- Lake Kournas: The unique lake of Crete located in a hollow between two hills offers a truly different landscape. Its beautiful landscape is ideal for walks in the nature. Taverns and cafeterias with a view of the lake give you the opportunity to taste Cretan cuisine.
All in all, Rethymno is one of the magnetic places in Crete that definitely you should visit. This summer bring your awesomeness and your greatest mood to the island and Villas in Crete will provide the best accommodation. Just check out our website and let us know which villa suits you best.